Monday, April 23, 2012

WebQuest

My webquest is off to the right. The link takes you to Box net. where I have create a webquest based on Painted Lady Butterflies.


I like to utilize the majority of my work in the classroom so the quest is based on our new Science unit we will start April 30th: watching Painted Lady Butterflies grow. I do not know if you remember I did a Goggle Earth Trip based on their migration pattern earlier this semester.


In terms of the requirement my webquest is a little different as it will be for 1st graders and collectively as a class we will do the webquest together. It will still function as the introductory lesson for our study of Painted Lady Butterflies.


Requirements:


1. Introduction-Painted Lady Butterflies


2. Task- Students must complete the Webquest chart provided.


3. Process- The webquest will be completely collectively as a class.  Students will be call upon to given information or discuss their personal inquiry of the study. One features I am excited about is that the webquest will end on this blog and the students will get to watch my Google Earth Trip based on the butterfly's migration pattern. :)


4. Evaluation- The rubric can be found in the Webquest folder at Box.net. It consists of the students staying on tasks and following directions, completing the chart and when students are called upon they should be able to tell one new thing they have learned about butterflies or Painted Lady Butterflies in particular. The grading has three columns: successful; proficient; and needs to improve.


5. Conclusion- The conclusion coincides with the being able to name one new characteristic the student has learned about butterflies. If time allows students will have a group discussion at their tables.


6. The design or template for the Webquest can from my boyfriend Joesy Exstrom.
Listed below are the following websites the webquest utilizes for information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_Lady
http://www.thebutterflysite.com/life-cycle.shtml
http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/butterfly/32/butterfly.html?butterflyid=38
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_migration
http://insects.about.com/od/butterfliesmoths/a/7-Fascinating-Facts-About-Painted-Lady-Butterflies.htm
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Vanessa-cardui
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_IILEPK7020.aspx